WEBSEITE - dt.
WEBSITE - engl.
WEBSITE - franz.
WEBSITE - nl
WEBSITE - ital.
WEBSITE - span.
WEBSITE - jap.
  • Schriftgröße: 
  • A
  • A
  • A

Hohentübingen Castle (Schloss Hohentübingen)

Burgsteige 11
72070 Tübingen

At 372 m (1,221 feet), the Spitzberg (also known as the Schlossberg or castle mountain) offers a magnificent view of the Neckar and Ammer Valleys. Atop the Spitzberg, the Hohentübingen Castle, a mighty renaissance construction with four wings and a round tower, rises above the city. First mention of a castle on this site dates back to 1078, referring to the former medieval castle as „castrum twingia“ or Tübingen Castle. The rulers of Tübingen, who were promoted to Counts Palatine in the 12th century, lived in the castle until 1342 when they sold it to the Counts of Württemberg.

Hohentübingen Castle’s importance as the residence of the Dukes of Württemberg began to diminish in the 16th century. Beginning in the mid-18th century, the university acquired its first rooms in the castle and in 1816 the King of Würrtemberg, Wilhelm I, transferred ownership of the castle to the university. The university library of nearly 60,000 bands was temporarily housed in the hall of knights, a chemistry laboratory was set up in the kitchen, and an astronomical observatory was housed in the northeast tower.

After thorough renovation of the castle from 1979 – 1994, the rooms of the castle were made available to the Cultural Studies and Archeology Departments of the Eberhard-Karls-University. Current displays of the collections of these departments can be found in the east and north wings, as well as in the pentagon-tower of the Museum of the Hohentübingen Castle. Entrance to the cellar of the north wing, where the glorious 850 hl (22,455 gallons) wine barrel is located, dating back to 1546, is unfortunately not currently possible. Behind the fountain at the back of the courtyard, a tunnel leads through the west wing of the castle to the „Schänzle“ or little entrenchment. Between the tunnel and the next doorway you will be able to look down upon the western castle moats, the so called „rabbit hole“.

Öffnungszeiten
from May until Sept Wed–Sun 10am–6pm
from Oct until April Wed–Sun 10am–5pm
Open on 26.12., 1.1. and 6.1,
Tours outside the regular opening hours
are available on request.