WEBSEITE - dt.
WEBSITE - engl.
WEBSITE - franz.
WEBSITE - nl
WEBSITE - ital.
WEBSITE - span.
WEBSITE - portug.
  • Schriftgröße: 
  • A
  • A
  • A

St. James' Church (Jakobuskirche)

Jakobusgasse
72070 Tübingen
St. James Church is located in the middle of the wine grower quarter, which Goethe described as being “incredibly bad and poorly built” (1797). The wine growers of Tübingen were known as the Gôgen, although where this name originates from remains a mystery. The Gôgen were known for being a crude and primitive race of men  and a document from the Tübingen city officials dating from 1867 describes them as follows: “made of exceptionally hard and touch material, renders extraordinary work and represents the force of a mid-size horse, lacking however in any kind of feeling which one could understand as piety . . .”

Very much in the style of the lower city around it, St. James Church is plain and somber. The roman main aisle was erected in 1200 and later extended to the east in the late-gothic style. The seam is visible along the nave of the church and on the outer wall of the choir an inscription states, “In the year 1500, on the 10th of July, the first stone was laid on this choir.” The origin of St. James Church is certainly connected with the pilgrimage to the grave of St. James, which lies on a tributary road to the main pilgrims’ path leading to Santiago de Compostella in Spain.

A small market takes place around St. James Church on Saturday mornings.

You can find out more about St. James' Church on our themed guided tour "Auf dem Jakobusweg durch Tübingen", which can be booked at the Tourist Information.